Henry Heron (1738-95, Organist of St Mary's, Ewell, later of St Magnus the Martyr, London)
Voluntary in G major
Samuel Long (c1725-c1764, Organist of St Peter-le-Poer, Old Broad Street)
Voluntary in D minor
Anon (18th century)
William Croft (1678-1727, Chapel Royal boy, pupil of John Blow, tutor of Maurice Greene, composer, wrote St Anne, the tune to O God, Our help in Ages Past)
Voluntary in D
John Bennett (1735-1784, for 30 years Organist of St Dionis Backchurch, Fenchurch, London)
Adagio (from a voluntary)
John Stanley (1713-1786, blind from an early age, at 17 the youngest ever Oxford University BMus, held several significant organ posts)
Voluntary in E minor
William Walond (1719-1768, for four years Assistant Organist, Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford)
Thomas Arne (1710-1778, Eton educated, wrote Rule Britannia, God Save our Gracious King, A-hunting we will go, and many theatre works for Covent Garden and Drury Lane; baptised, and finally buried, at St Paul's Covent Garden)
from one of the Six Favourite Concertos (1793)
Ed Sutton received his first organ training from Kenneth Ryder as Diocesan Organ Scholar at St Peter Mancroft, Norwich. He was simultaneously major music scholar at the King’s School, Ely under Scott Farrell, where he played for school and other services in the cathedral.
He went on to read music at the University of Edinburgh where he studied organ performance with John Kitchen, organ improvisation with Brigitte Harris, and euphonium, singing and choral conducting at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
Ed continued his studies at the University of Exeter, researching the choral music of Giovanni Paolo Cima, and was Senior Organ Scholar at the university’s chapels. Since then Ed has held various organist and choir director positions.
Eight years ago Ed left the professional music world and took up a better paid career in financial services. He currently works in underwriting and product management for a multi-national insurance firm. He enjoys quizzes and gin, often in combination. He is delighted to be playing at Christ Church, which has generously allowed him to practice on this organ for many years. He hopes you enjoy the concert.
You can read more about life as an organ scholar here
The Christ Church organ was built by Hill, Norman & Beard in 1970 with 16 stops, using some pipes from previous organs plus some neo-baroque sounds typical of the 1960's and '70's (Chimney Flute and Fifteenth on open-foot voicing, like the Royal Festival Hall organ).
In 1995, HNB moved some loud stops from the Great to a new double case in the nave, 6 stops were added, and the tone was refined. In summer 2015 the nave organ was re-voiced to produce a more robust tone.